Wednesday, February 06, 2008
THE "SUPER STORM.."
...as News 3's Meteorologist's have dubbed it; is really happening here.
We've probably all heard similar forecasts sometime in the past. "Alert-- watch out-- the big
snow is about to hit!" I hate to say it; but we are often left disappointed. (And probably the kids
hoping for a big snow fall or snow day even more so than the adults!)
I moved "south" of Wisconsin (Cincinnati--- and if you live there; you will find people who consider it "the south.." not "the midwest.") Winter there was basically easy. I recall the first two didn't even require a heavy coat. The worst was an ice storm with the biggest danger being chunks of the frozen stuff falling off the trees and hitting you in the head!
And of course moving there from Green Bay's winters (if you've experienced lake effect
snow---- you know what I mean!) was a nice change.
This brings me to today and our "Super Storm." I'm laughing as I say; I moved back to
Wisconsin instead of further south----- why??
It's the people---- residents helping push their neighbors out of the snow. Strangers giving other drivers who are stuck; a ride. Co-workers bringing in treats or snacks for the rest of
the staff; unable to leave. Shoveling your sidewalk and finally getting a chance to chat
with the person next door.
There's also the adventure----- our 4-wheel-drive jeep is in the shop (great timing) right now; so it's a lesson in remembering how to maneuver in a foot-plus of snow! We started off stuck in our driveway, then stuck on the road leading out of our neighborhood; then stuck on the next street..... and finally a typically 20-minute drive (on a heavy traffic day) took one-hour.
Of course; we still have the drive home to look forward to..... and more snow in the immediate future...
I leave you with these suggestions: make snow angels and start thinking "sunny thoughts!"
Teri
tbarr@wisctv.com
`
We've probably all heard similar forecasts sometime in the past. "Alert-- watch out-- the big
snow is about to hit!" I hate to say it; but we are often left disappointed. (And probably the kids
hoping for a big snow fall or snow day even more so than the adults!)
I moved "south" of Wisconsin (Cincinnati--- and if you live there; you will find people who consider it "the south.." not "the midwest.") Winter there was basically easy. I recall the first two didn't even require a heavy coat. The worst was an ice storm with the biggest danger being chunks of the frozen stuff falling off the trees and hitting you in the head!
And of course moving there from Green Bay's winters (if you've experienced lake effect
snow---- you know what I mean!) was a nice change.
This brings me to today and our "Super Storm." I'm laughing as I say; I moved back to
Wisconsin instead of further south----- why??
It's the people---- residents helping push their neighbors out of the snow. Strangers giving other drivers who are stuck; a ride. Co-workers bringing in treats or snacks for the rest of
the staff; unable to leave. Shoveling your sidewalk and finally getting a chance to chat
with the person next door.
There's also the adventure----- our 4-wheel-drive jeep is in the shop (great timing) right now; so it's a lesson in remembering how to maneuver in a foot-plus of snow! We started off stuck in our driveway, then stuck on the road leading out of our neighborhood; then stuck on the next street..... and finally a typically 20-minute drive (on a heavy traffic day) took one-hour.
Of course; we still have the drive home to look forward to..... and more snow in the immediate future...
I leave you with these suggestions: make snow angels and start thinking "sunny thoughts!"
Teri
tbarr@wisctv.com
`
Posted at 2:17 PM
<< Home