Wednesday, November 28, 2007
IT'S ONE OF THE FEW THINGS FAVRE HASN'T DONE...
...win IN DALLAS!
I grew up a Packers fan; and even during the rough, not-much-to-celebrate years.. it still meant an afternoon in front of the t.v. with the family. (O.K.; I admit. Some of those games may have
allowed the opportunity to take a nap! But the game was still always on!)
I realize there are people living in Wisconsin who don't get it.
But covering the Packers during my time working in Green Bay at FOX-11 allowed me to
travel and see--- there are people living all over the country who DO get the love of the Green & Gold!!
I have to mention; even when I moved away from Wisconsin-- once somone realized I was from Green Bay AND a Packers Fan AND have been to Lambeau Field AND it really isn't always "frozen" the curiosity about it was ignited.
I've had people ask: "is it true there's a waiting list for season tickets? What's a brat? (but they pronounce it braat-- like a naughty child!) Is it ever warm at a Packers game? (No kidding-- I've had many people ask if the snow melts in Green Bay!) Does the area really shut down
on game-day? Why do the players ride local kids bikes at mini-camp? And do residents around Lambeau sell parking spots on their front lawn (and allow strangers to use their restrooms??)"
I recall covering an incident in downtown Cincinnati during what happened to be a Bengals home game.
My husband, a news photographer; was working with me and wearing a Packers media holder
around his neck and some Bengals fans yelled-- "what's with that??" It was funny; because once they realized it was something "Packers.." the attitude changed to one of respect and even a little awe.
We also worked with a reporter, Frank; a huge Packers fan since he was a kid. He's never been to Lambeau let alone Green Bay or even Wisconsin. He moved to North Carolina just before I came back to Wisconsin; and I still hear from him after many Packers games.
Now this Dallas game.
I covered several of the match-up's in the 1990's and could see by the final loss in Dallas; how
much it ticked the team off at the time. They just couldn't hold it together there.
(The stadium is wierd---- it's musty smelling due to the hole in the roof; plus there's
a whiff of "bad perfume" you can't seem to get away from.. and the last time I was there some of the women were wearing fur coats in the stands! Are you kidding??)
I did see the huge win against Dallas in late November of '97. This one happened in Green Bay
and luckily I did not have to work and got to enjoy the game from the stands with some friends.
In the end; I'm thinking the Green & Gold are due. Plus, my husband is there with our "Live at 5" crew and I'm not. We've covered all those away/losing games together so I'm looking at this as a sure sign of a win.
That; and it really is one of the few things Brett Favre has left to accomplish for the team..
and his fans around the globe.
GO PACK!
Teri
tbarr@wisctv.com
I grew up a Packers fan; and even during the rough, not-much-to-celebrate years.. it still meant an afternoon in front of the t.v. with the family. (O.K.; I admit. Some of those games may have
allowed the opportunity to take a nap! But the game was still always on!)
I realize there are people living in Wisconsin who don't get it.
But covering the Packers during my time working in Green Bay at FOX-11 allowed me to
travel and see--- there are people living all over the country who DO get the love of the Green & Gold!!
I have to mention; even when I moved away from Wisconsin-- once somone realized I was from Green Bay AND a Packers Fan AND have been to Lambeau Field AND it really isn't always "frozen" the curiosity about it was ignited.
I've had people ask: "is it true there's a waiting list for season tickets? What's a brat? (but they pronounce it braat-- like a naughty child!) Is it ever warm at a Packers game? (No kidding-- I've had many people ask if the snow melts in Green Bay!) Does the area really shut down
on game-day? Why do the players ride local kids bikes at mini-camp? And do residents around Lambeau sell parking spots on their front lawn (and allow strangers to use their restrooms??)"
I recall covering an incident in downtown Cincinnati during what happened to be a Bengals home game.
My husband, a news photographer; was working with me and wearing a Packers media holder
around his neck and some Bengals fans yelled-- "what's with that??" It was funny; because once they realized it was something "Packers.." the attitude changed to one of respect and even a little awe.
We also worked with a reporter, Frank; a huge Packers fan since he was a kid. He's never been to Lambeau let alone Green Bay or even Wisconsin. He moved to North Carolina just before I came back to Wisconsin; and I still hear from him after many Packers games.
Now this Dallas game.
I covered several of the match-up's in the 1990's and could see by the final loss in Dallas; how
much it ticked the team off at the time. They just couldn't hold it together there.
(The stadium is wierd---- it's musty smelling due to the hole in the roof; plus there's
a whiff of "bad perfume" you can't seem to get away from.. and the last time I was there some of the women were wearing fur coats in the stands! Are you kidding??)
I did see the huge win against Dallas in late November of '97. This one happened in Green Bay
and luckily I did not have to work and got to enjoy the game from the stands with some friends.
In the end; I'm thinking the Green & Gold are due. Plus, my husband is there with our "Live at 5" crew and I'm not. We've covered all those away/losing games together so I'm looking at this as a sure sign of a win.
That; and it really is one of the few things Brett Favre has left to accomplish for the team..
and his fans around the globe.
GO PACK!
Teri
tbarr@wisctv.com
Posted at 9:52 PM
<< Home