Monday, May 14, 2007

LOCAL MUSICIANS ARE HONORED...

at the weekend's Madison Area Music Awards.
I'd only heard about this still fairly new, now annual event; but was excited to be asked to present an award this year, as My Madison T.V., channel-14 is a sponsor.

First; I should tell you... I love live music. And I feel fortunate to be back in an area with appreciation for those who are working hard to make it happen every night.
But the MAMA's topped anything I could've imagined as a local recognition party.

It started with a low-key gathering at The Brink. It was a great chance to meet and greet and check out the hair (long rocker-style to fancy up-do's) outfits (suspender overall's with a tuxedo shirt and bow-tie to ball gowns to a Ramones t-shirt) and attitudes. (friendly and fun)

We headed for The Barrymore Theatre on the near-east side next; and a chance to walk the red carpet. No kidding! Each person who entered was greeted by a Hostess with mic in hand-- asking why you're there, what you're wearing.... the "typical" pre-show grammy-esque interviews! It was a riot! And for those already inside; the interviews could be seen on the big screen t.v.
The award show itself; was pretty prompt. Great live music and the house band "The Gomers" really knew how to keep the mood appropriately upbeat. Each presenter and musician received the royal treatment backstage. Hair fluffed and sprayed.. make up re-touched.. and water, energy drinks, or cocktails on hand for those who were thirsty (or nervous) before appearing on stage.
It was also a cool chance to see the area, many entertainers have gone before... and wonder how they enjoyed their own backstage experience.

The crowd was great.. and as a presenter to those in the blues and jazz categories; my night was made when legend Clyde Stubblefield hugged me while I gave him his award.
I also became a fast fan of "Clear Blue Betty" who won for best rock artist, album. They played at the end of the show and rocked the house.
But even when it was over; no one left. This was the time for exchanging business cards, advice, phone numbers---- it was fun to watch people of all ages hanging out and enjoying each others company and knowing music is what brought everyone together.

Here's what else I learned-- more than 40 musical categories and about 700 people cast their votes for their favorites.
All the money from tickets to the events will help support music programs at area schools; everything from getting an instrument for a kid who might not otherwise be able to play.. to paying for lessons.

This truly is a special event with amazing potential.
I hope we can support it together, next year!

If you'd like to read more about the awards; including the full list of winners, go to
www.themamas.org


Teri
tbarr@wisctv.com

Posted at 9:41 PM