Friday, July 14, 2006

KEEPING YOUR COOL....

..as the weather heats up in the days ahead.
My co-worker; Chief Meteorologist Gary Cannalte, is saying the heat "index" (meaning what it will FEEL like outside) could hit 110+ !

This is my plea to each of you reading this blog: please make sure those who could be hurt by the heat--- know they have somewhere cool and safe to go to if need be.
I've covered heat-waves in bigger cities where many residents are too afraid to open their windows due to crime. Instead they are willing to risk their life; dying in the heat, rather
than become a victim of crime.
That's a crime all by itself.

I've lived in Madison more than a year.. and I know from growing up in Wisconsin; people here won't let that happen. If you have a cooling-type of system and know a neighbor who doesn't---
invite them over for awhile.
It might be a great way to get acquainted with those who live around you.

And here's some extra information for help in beating the heat:

Madison-Area and U.W. Beaches www.cityofmadison.com/beaches/
This site will be constantly updated as hot weather makes water quality change quickly.
Madison's New Goodman Pool Near The Alliant Energy Center
The Mayor's asking to keep the pool open until 9 each night.
If you have a pool in your community-- check on the hours.
Cooling Centers
Dane County Emergency Management will open "centers" around the area; if the
heat warrants it. The information would be shared by News-3 as soon as we receive it.

Finally; summer is here and I'm sorry I've been enjoying too much of it to update my blog in a more timely fashion.
I'll try to do a better job of writing; and I invite you to let me know what you think!

Teri Barr
tbarr@wisctv.com

Posted at 5:55 PM