Saturday, October 08, 2005

EMBRACE THE COLD....

Our fall weather seems to be settling in and winter can't be far behind!
I remember growing up in Central Wisconsin and playing in huge mounds of snow----
never feeling it was too cold to be outside.
My family started snowmobiling back then; my brothers continue the tradition,
but I'm wondering now if I've become a bit of a wimp as we head into the chilly season.

It's not really the snow that bothers me----
but "visiting" Wisconsin during the winter holidays after moving away six years ago----
I can only recall how downright frosty it seemed on each of those trips home!
Our last job-hopping stop was Cincinnati.
Only 7-hours to the south.
But it's hours that make a difference between it being -10 outside or 40 degrees above zero!
We didn't even need to wear our winter coats most of the time there.
People considered us those crazy folks who have lived "in the nort' " where it's really cold!
(And you wouldn't believe the number of times I was asked if the "Frozen Tundra" was ever
un-frozen in Wisconsin!? I had to explain The Badger State isn't in Canada!)

So now we're back.
I LOVED the warm weather we enjoyed since I arrived in March!
How to deal with the winter ahead!!??
Embrace the cold is what I'm told.. and honestly; I have to wonder if it will really be as
bad as I remember.

How do you survive the change in seasons? E-mail me your thoughts.
And again, if you have a great story idea--- let me know that, too.

Here's to staying warm this winter!
Teri Barr
tbarr@wisctv.com

Posted at 5:11 PM